Friday 6 February 2015

In Her Debt (part three)

Alex sat in the park glancing at his watch. He now knew he could not extend his overdraught...until an hour ago he'd thought that would mean packing up and trudging back up north but now he had something new to ponder. What was Ms Williams going to say when they met later?

At the same time Arabella was busy making arrangements and informing a select few about her plan. The friends and confidents who were part of her inner circle squealed with delight at her audacious scheme and offered help wherever possible. Finally she called her best friend and asked her to join her at the restaurant for what she termed "moral support".

At 5:30 on the dot Alex was shown to Arabella's table to find another familiar face "Reverend Jane!" he blurted as he saw the local vicar chatting amiably with Arabella.

Jane was a key part of Arabella's plan...between the two of them poor Alex would be swept along. Railroaded into agreeing to Arabella's proposals and set onto the road to entrapment. Arabella was getting aroused just thinking about it but for now they had to be friendly but businesslike.

Jane began as Alex sat down "Now Alex I must impress on you the fact that Arabella has put herself in a potentially damaging situation today...she could lose her job for meeting like this to help a bank customer" Alex nodded "it goes without saying that we need you to promise never to breathe a word of our discussions to anyone...is that acceptable?" Arabella marvelled at Jane's natural authority, Alex was like a deer in the headlights "I promise...absolutely I promise...you know I'd never break my word Reverend".

Arabella smiled "Okay then...I have been speaking to Reverend Jane and I have come up with a plan..." she leaned in closer towards the young man across the table from her "The problem you have is your rent and the interest on your debts...I have a way to solve both problems at once" she let the suggestion hang in the air for a moment "Alex...I want you to move out of your flat and into my house. I'll take you on as my handyman, gardener and cook. You will have no rent, no outgoings at all. I will pay off your overdraught by giving you a payment in advance for 6 months work"

Jane took over "Alex, Arabella is welcoming you into her home. She lives there with Georgina...she has asked me my thoughts on this and I must ask you to swear to be obedient and totally well behaved....this whole thing will not work unless I have your solemn promise. I know you are a well-raised, respectful young man. You must agree to accept Arabella's authority otherwise I can not in good conscience sanction this agreement"

There was a tension in the air as Jane laid down the terms under which Alex would live. The trap was being set and their prey sat across the table none-the-wiser.

Alex smiled and looked at Arabella and Jane "I promise Reverend...I will be the perfect houseguest. Thank you so much for making this offer...I will be able to do so much round the house and I love gardening...I won't let you down"

And with that the trap snapped shut

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback & suggestions are always appreciated